Sunday, April 26, 2009

Very Necessary Venting Session



This will likely be of no interest to anyone but myself, but I need a venting therapy session so here it goes.
Nursing school is less than a month away. I know that I will be in a whirlwind of classes and clinicals for a year and may not have any sort of personal life. I know that it will be difficult and stressful. That being said, knowing that does not mean I will not have the right to complain, moan and groan at necessary times. Though I also reserve the right to resume optimism and say that "everything is going to work out."
So you would think a 3 weeks before nursing school would be an exciting time and a good chance to let loose and relax. Uh, not so much. Right now I am finishing off the last two prerequisites which are Biochemistry and Microbiology. Yes, I saved the two hardest classes for last. To top it off, my Micro teacher is an evil woman who doesn't want anyone to succeed. We are in the last week of school (my final is Saturday) and we have 3 tests left to take. Yes, that's correct, 3! One is a take home which means that this week while I should be studying for my final, I will be working on this take home test, studying for Test 4 and studying for a cumulative final (with no study guide). "Just read over all your notes from the semester and you should do fine," says evil teacher who wants no one to succeed.
Meanwhile I have a test tomorrow in Biochem and a final in about a week. My biochem teacher thinks we are graduate students and need to memorize every last thing in the book. Therefor I am trying desperately the night before a test to memorize the Citric Acid Cycle and all it's components as well as Glycolysis and all it's components. This may not sound like much, but trust me it's rediculous.
As I am complaining about all this I am thinking, "just wait to you start Jefferson, this is nothing!"
Oh and I failed to mention that while I am busy freaking out about all these tests (and I just had one Saturday), my boyfriend is turning 30. Tomorrow is his actually birthday but I did not have any opportunity to plan something nice for him. We BBQd at his friends house and I bought some hamburger meat, etc, which was about all I had the energy to do. Tomorrow I will bake a cake and order pizza for dinner cause it's his favorite and I don't have the energy to cook anything.
I am also 2 weeks away from quitting my job! This is good news. The problem is that along side all the other stresses in my life I am meant to be catching up on all my paperwork. If it is not complete I will not get my PTO payout. I have no time to deal with actual students since I have to spend every working minute imputing case notes and other nonsense wastes of time. Meanwhile I know my coworkers would really like some help in dealing with the every day business in the office, not to mention the daily crises that come up with students. I am not a good coworker and have left all the decision making to them. My attitute about it right now is, you are going to have to figure out how to do it without me eventually.. might as well start now!
I am starting school in 3 weeks and haven't quite figured out how I'm going to pay for it. Surprised? I am still waiting to hear back about the private loan I applied for to supplement the other loan money I'm receiving. This is going to be one hell of an expensive year.
I think that's all the venting I have for today. I must go to bed so that I can wake up at an ungodly hour and try to study for biochem!

3 comments:

Indigo Children said...

that is a lot going on! take it one step at a time (this is what I keep saying to myself).

our vacation will be good for us.

Katie said...

You've got a lot going on, but the most important thing is to take care of yourself. And part of that is forgiving yourself--forgive yourself for, in your words, being a bad co-worker, because you are doing what you need to do in order to leave. Forgive yourself when you take study breaks, because you need them. Forgive yourself if you don't get 100% on every test--do the best you can each day, and you will be able to get through the next few weeks!

Anonymous said...

I am glad I read this after the fact. I think I would have stressed right along with you.

Like the cat photo. I understand that feeling sometimes.

Love you, Mom