Saturday, February 23, 2008

a tribute of sorts


I'm joining the masses. This is really not going to be for everyone however. Mostly for me, and then a few selected lucky ones :)

I'm not starting this blog because I'm becoming a mommy or have any huge inspirational things to share. Mostly I'm looking for another outlet. Sometimes I feel like I complain about the same things over and over again. Maybe if I put them into words I can separate these issues from my insides. Like if I'm looking at them on paper (or on the computer in this case) I can see them as something separate from myself.

So I'm not a profound writer like my sister. I admit I am completely jealous of her ability to put her thoughts and feelings into words. It's okay to be jealous. I cannot run around pretending not to be. It seems so silly to not be up front about your feelings or to try to deny them. So I will own my jealousy but I won't let it consume me.

My sister inspires me. She always has. From the beginning when I wasn't sure about college and she assured me that I could do it. She helped me with the overwhelming financial aide forms and the application process. When I doubted my ability to attend a university she was the one to tell me that she believed in me. I was so lucky to have her by my side during those years. They were some of the best years of my life. The college experience was not a typical one. I was surrounded by women of all ages. It was not the "party years" that some people have. It was a very empowering experience however. I learned so much about women's abilities and felt so empowered being surrounded by strong minded individuals. But I am diverging from my original thought.

My sister inspires me. When I decided I wanted to join the Peace Corps she helped me through that. "Do you really think I can do it Stacey?" "Of course you can do it." she would say. Sometimes that's all I needed, a little reassurance. She says the same thing to me know when I ask if I will be able to handle nursing school. (god i hope you are right Stacey).
We were so close in college. It was really difficult to leave her and her daughter when I went to Malawi. We had become joined at the hip, and I didn't know if I could do it without her. I survived, and we have managed to morph our relationship into something new. Something less codependent. I know I can pick up the phone and tell her anything. I just wish she would answer more often!

So I'm going to keep it short for now. I was originally planning to rant about my job, or my frustrations with this city, but I think I will save that for another time. For some reason I was directed to say a big thanks to my sister. I guess because when I started writing I was thinking of her.

3 comments:

Indigo Children said...

You have your own way with words.

I think I am the one that could not have survived without you. I sometimes wonder if you were sent to TWU at that time just for me. (what a selfish thought).


I love the premise behind this blog (every state line). I look forward to reading your writing.

You said:"Maybe if I put them into words I can separate these issues from my insides. Like if I'm looking at them on paper (or on the computer in this case) I can see them as something separate from myself."

Exactly. That is exactly it.

Indigo Children said...

Thank you for the invite into your inner sanctum.

"Every five years or so I look back on my life and have a good laugh," say the Indigo Girls.

Isn't funny how your sis and I are in the same place with many of the same characters again. We traveled from coast-to-coast but ended up here.

Maybe you are not far behind. Maybe you are cutting a new path, still wet with dew.

Carry on.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the invite, and for the record I am jealous of your writing (typing) prowess. Women are soooo much better at expressing themselves, or maybe we're just afraid. Thanks again and I'm just glad hear you're doing great.